Doctors in the United States have warned people against swatting mosquitoes against their skin saying it could increase the risk of serious infection.


It follows the case of a 57-year-old woman who died after developing a fungal infection in her muscles.



Doctors believe she developed the infection after she swatted a mosquito, causing part of the insect to penetrate and infect her skin.



The woman developed a fungal infection called Brachiola algerae.



The infection puzzled doctors, not least because it is thought to be found only in mosquitoes and other insects.



Unlike malaria or West Nile Virus, it is not found in mosquito saliva so doctors were able to rule out a bite as the cause of the infection.



But they concluded that the woman, who died in 2002, probably developed the infection after smearing the insect into a bite.



More here.

0