Cheap, cheap, cheap!
What is the cheapest beer in the world? Most would argue that some mass-produced American piss water such as Natural Light would be the ultimate beer of shame. However, as far as the cheapest beer per serving, it is actually an ale from Vietnam that reigns supreme…
- Drinking Bia Hơi in Hanoi is very Vietnamese and very much a male pastime. Any foreigner stopping at a Bia Hơi is going to get some good-natured attention; any foreign woman doubly so. Not harassment, but you’ll be a curiosity.
- Bia Hơi food is famous nationwide for being greasy and sometimes barely edible; the things served there are designed to make the beer go down faster. There are exceptions here and there. Noodles, tofu, pork ribs, grilled squid: after a couple Bia Hơis, they start to taste really good.
- Sanitary conditions at Bia Hơi restaurants can be beyond bad, according to Vietnamese friends, so you might steer clear of the food altogether. Not that I ever did.
- The beers are light, but there is alcohol in them. Keep that in mind when you’re on round five or six and thinking how smoothly they go down.
- Bia Hơi bathrooms are among the worst you’ll ever find so another reason to count the beers going down.