In 2009, over 4 million students were taking some sort of course online.
The insertion of the internet into our daily lives sure has changed the landscape of how distance learning has evolved and is consumed, there was certainly a lot of history that preceded it. The infographic below takes a look at the strides distance learning has made over the years and really highlights how the internet has really helped to expand the offerings to many more people.
Keep reading to learn more about distance learning, but be sure to check out this article for a look at how distance learning must change.
Distance Learning Has Come A Long Way
- In the early days, private correspondence courses were the first types of distance learning offered – as early as 1728!
- The University Of London was the first school to offer its degrees worldwide.
- College courses were also offered by radio in the 1940′s.
- In the 1950′s, some courses were even offered on TV.
- Between 2002 and 2008, the number of classes being taken online rises by 187%.
- In 2009, over 4 million students were taking some sort of course online.
Photo credit: University of Nicosia